Recently we've seen a rash of publicity coming out of New Orleans and from Leslie Jacobs about the New Orleans turnaround miracle. According to her press releases and op-ed pieces in the Time Picayune and Baton Rouge Advocate, New Orleans leads the both the state and nation in graduation rate. That would be some wonderful news . . .
You are here: Home » New Orleans Graduation Rate - Miracle . . . or Make-believe?
NOLA has TFA, Charters, Vouchers, well just about everything. Secretary Arne Duncan has said that Hurricane Katrina was "the best thing that happened to the education system" in NOLA. However, they have their data on lockdown. Is that suspicious? hmmmmm. What could they possibly be cloaking?
Author:Julian Vasquez HeiligJulian Vasquez Heilig is currently an Associate Professor of Educational Policy and Planning and African and African Diaspora Studies (by courtesy) at the University of Texas at Austin.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Search Cloaking Inequity
- RT @kjopowicz: Must read about #edreform fail @harvinmoore School Turnaround: Calling the Bluff of Accountability: wp.me/p2D92I-1pK v… 4 hours ago
- RT @Larryferlazzo: The Best Articles, Videos & Posts On Education Policy In 2013 – So Far larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2013/06/18/the… 7 hours ago
- RT @realsaramerica: @tbeckett @ProfessorJVH @LULAC @MALCTx @EvaLongoria @MALDEF @Maria_Hinojosa Don't let "facts" get in way of revisionist… 8 hours ago
- RT @uceacastle: CASTLE Blogs: School Turnaround: Calling the Bluff of Accountability - goo.gl/tGdxd - via @ProfessorJVH 8 hours ago
- Gov Perry line item vetoed funding for Mexican American studies at UT-Austin on Friday. @LULAC @MALCTx @EvaLongoria @MALDEF @Maria_Hinojosa 15 hours ago
- RT @m_bushman: Growing U.S. re-segregation, including by language, has stark consequences new study finds: wp.me/p2D92I-1oD via @Prof… 16 hours ago
- RT @kjopowicz: Must read from @ProfessorJVH at UT-Austin. Beware Rod Paige, missing Paul Wellstone: cloakinginequity.com/2013/06/16/sec… 16 hours ago
- School Turnaround: Calling the Bluff of Accountability? wp.me/p2D92I-1pK @arneduncan @alexanderrusso @katealexander @DianeRavitch 16 hours ago
- Second grader in wheelchair set apart from classmates in school photo :( shine.yahoo.com/parenting/seco… 17 hours ago
- RT @UT_DDCE: Expansive School Segregation in Texas: Predicts Accountability Rating: wp.me/p2D92I-1oD via one of our faculty fellows @… 1 day ago
- Ms. Utah weighs in on gender wage inequity npr.org/blogs/thetwo-w… #Missusa #utah 1 day ago
- RT @susanoha: #CCSS claims "careful use of a large & growing body of evidence, including: scholarly research." Where's the research? Name t… 2 days ago
- Education Outcomes: Texas vs. California vs. New York vs. Nation September 27, 2012
- Lurking in the Bushes: Peeking at Florida Education Miracle November 28, 2012
- Letter to Civil Rights and school “choice” advocate (p.s. neoliberals skip this) March 29, 2013
- Why judges say charters are NOT public schools— students and parents should be nervous January 2, 2013
- Why do hedge funds ADORE charters? October 23, 2012
- School Turnaround: Calling the Bluff of Accountability? June 18, 2013
- Sec. Paige vs. Sen. Wellstone: Testing, Accountability, and Prophetic Pronouncements June 16, 2013
- Expansive School Segregation in Texas: Predicts Accountability Rating June 14, 2013
- Education Spring 25,000 strong and counting June 13, 2013
- Taking tests, to test, to see if students are ready for the test June 11, 2013
- Mike Bushman: In addition to the troubling effects on children a...
- Chad Foster: It is a crying shame. The vast majority of student...
- Sec. Paige vs. Sen. Wellstone: Testing, Accountability, and Prophetic Pronouncements | Cloaking Inequity ← NPE News Briefs: […] Click here to read the entire post, for ...
- Expansive School Segregation in Texas: Predicts Accountability Rating | Cloaking Inequity ← NPE News Briefs: […] Click here to read the entire post, for ...
- Sylvia Jauregui: At the time of this comment, 18.75% of people have...
Accountability ACT Affirmative Action African American ALEC American Legislative Exchange Council Arne Duncan Attrition Charters Charter Schools Chile Community-Based Accountability Dan Patrick Dropout Emergency Legislation Florida Miracle George W. Bush High-Stakes Testing Houston Jeb Bush Jonathan Alter KIPP Knowledge is Power Program Michelle Rhee NCLB NEPC No Child Left Behind Parent Trigger Rick Perry Sandy Kress SAT School Choice School Finance Senator Dan Patrick Sen Dan Patrick STAAR Student Achievement sub-featured Teach for America TEKS Texas Texas Legislature TFA Urban Schools Vouchers
In the Community
Accountability African Americans Announcements Charter Schools Community-Based Accountability Dropout Early Childhood English Language Learners High-Stakes Testing Higher Education Access KIPP Latina/os Los Chistes Native Parent Trigger School Finance School Turnaround Standards Teacher Quality Teach For America The Teat Uncategorized Vouchers Wisdom