The Professors: A Reality Show Concept
The hullabaloo about the Duck Dynasty reality show got me to thinking. It turns out that the Duck Dynasty controversy may all be just part of the entertainment business— a carefully orchestrated marketing scheme. How about an education reality show that isn’t 100% pretend and follows the “stress, failures, unpredictability, and successes” in the lives of professors? Could it be more interesting than truckers skidding off the road in the arctic? Or the bored wives of Portland? Or the Kardashians (okay maybe nothing is more interesting than the Kardashians). Here is the concept from the website TheProfessorsRealityShow.wordpress.com. Check it out. Let us know what you think.
Title: The Professors
Logline: Experience the rough and tumble lives of The Professors from the safety of your sofa. See the stress, unpredictability, successes, and failures of The Professors lives up close and personal.
Synopsis: Reality shows in the past have identified unique professions and lifestyles. These documentary style shows are a sub-genre of shows that seek to serve the insatiable curiosity that viewers have to gain insight into other people lives and jobs. Whether it’s Housewives or Fisherman, America can get enough of reality series in a documentary format.
College professors have analyzed reality shows. UT-Austin college professors’ research has even been the subject of a “reality show” called Game Changers. However, never has a show examined up close and personal the stress, unpredictability, successes, and failures in college professors lives.
The Professors is a new reality show that will profile how four University of Texas at Austin professors live and experience the complex life of teaching in a world famous institution of higher learning.
What will the docu-style episodes profile? The first seven episodes will intertwine several themes throughout the season. Each episode will end with a cliffhanger to bring viewers back for the next week.
- The stress, difficulty, and mercilessness of graduate school for students
- The troubles with balancing family and work in a fast paced and unpredictable 16-hour-a-day career
- The pressure and anticipation of travels around the nation and world (China, Italy, Oregon etc.)
- The politics, pressure, scrutiny, and disagreements in a university
- The afterglow, the elation, and redemption of graduation
- Relationships and interactions with politicians and other community leaders
- The anxiety, anticipation, and adrenaline of appearances on TV shows and radio
- Sink or swim: The life-altering experience of a new professor— readiness or rejection?
- The contrasts between professors lives
- The humorous side of professors and their students
- Personal struggles of professors
- Rendering the hope that we make a difference in the world for children
The Professors is a future reality show “hit” that everyone will be talking about.
If you like this idea, please send it along to influential Hollywood production types that you know. hehehe. 🙂
Please Facebook Like, Tweet, etc below and/or reblog to share this discussion with others.