How much taxpayer money does Teach For America spend? How much money do the Walmart heirs spend on Teach For America? Julian Vasquez Heilig joined the show State of Education with a parent of a corps member to discuss Teach For America on 1030 AM KVOI The Voice.
Topics and questions addressed:
- How much money do the Walmart heirs spend on Teach For America?
- Should Teach For America privately control the provision of teachers for communities?
- Why do Teach For America alums go into politics and political jobs?
- A parent talks about the “caring and wonderful” but “floundering” Teach For America teachers in her daughter’s school.
- Parent discusses going from “excitement” to “devastation” about her daughter’s participation in Teach For America.
- Could charters in Chicago, Louisiana and other cities survive without the temporary labor provided by Teach For America?
- Parent discussed the “militaristic” approach of the KIPP charter school that her daughter (TFA) taught in.
- Do charter schools actually perform better than traditional public schools?
- Does Teach For American punish corp members and alums (backlash) for speaking out?
- How much taxpayer money does Teach For America spend?
- Do Teach For America teachers stay in the classroom?
These comments and answers to these questions and more were discussed.
For more detail and data please read these two policy briefs from the National Education Policy Center.
Click here for Review of the Evidence.
Click here for Return to the Evidence.
For all of Cloaking Inequity’s posts on Teach For America click here.
Please Facebook Like, Tweet, etc below and/or reblog to share this discussion with others.
Want to know about Cloaking Inequity’s freshly pressed conversations about educational policy? Click the “Follow blog by email” button on the home page.
Click here for Vitae.