Outstanding Dissertation Award in Educational Policy and Politics
Purpose: The purpose of the AERA Division L Outstanding Dissertation Award is to recognize the exceptional research accomplishments of recent doctoral graduates. Dissertations employing any theoretical and methodological orientation may be nominated as long as they make an important contribution to education policy and/or politics. The award recipient will be formally recognized at the 2019 Division L Business Meeting at AERA and will have an opportunity to give a brief presentation about their dissertation at this meeting.
Eligibility: Dissertations must have been completed and successfully defended between August 16, 2018 and August 15, 2019. At the time the dissertation is being considered, the author must be a member of Division L of AERA.
Nomination Process: Nominations must be submitted by a faculty member of the nominee’s doctoral degree granting institution by February 10, 2020. The nomination package should include the following as four separate attachments:
1. A nomination letter from a faculty member of the nominee’s degree granting institution. Please include information about when the nominee defended his/her dissertation.
2. A document that contains the nominee’s current contact information (name, current job title, address, phone number and email address)
3. A 3- to 4-page double-spaced summary of the dissertation
4. A copy of the dissertation in PDF format.
Review Process & Evaluation Criteria: Complete nominations that are received by the deadline will be reviewed by the Division L Dissertation Award Committee. Specifically, the committee will evaluate the following aspects of each dissertation:
2. Literature review
3. Perspective/theoretical framework
4. Research methods
5. Data sources
8. Quality and clarity of writing
9. Connection to Division L
Submission: Email submissions to Professor Julian Vasquez Heilig (email@example.com) by February 10, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST using the subject line “DIVISION L DISSERTATION AWARD