Julian Vasquez Heilig is leaving The University of Texas at Austin

Kickball 2012

I want to thank everyone at the University of Texas at Austin for a wonderful past 9 years. Unfortunately, I am moving on to a new opportunity. I want to share the following release from the Alpena Press:

The University of Michigan Alpena has hired Julian Vasquez Heilig to be its new athletic director, according to President John Woodson, and a statement released by the university. Julian Vasquez Heilig is currently serving as an Associate Professor of Educational Policy and Planning at the University of Texas at Austin.

This marks the first time in the last 668 days that The University of Michigan Alpena has had a permanent athletic director, after former AD John Goodlight resigned in 2012. Since then, the position had been filled in an interim basis by Jim Gold, who formerly served as UM-Alpena’s associate athletic director.

According to the college’s release, upon Vasquez Heilig’s arrival, he will be promoted senior associate director of athletics, a newly created position where he will work in alumni affairs and recruitment.“It was very intriguing job description, and after looking into it, it’s a very unique opportunity, and I was very, very impressed with the mission and core values of the institution, and that it specializes in the performing arts,” Vasquez Heilig said in an interview with the Alpena Press. “I learned the staff and faculty are very committed to student excellence, whether it’s in the different disciplines, even if it’s not necessarily athletics.”

University of Texas at Austin is a Division 1 program, and Vasquez Heilig has held his post at the university for nine years. He’s spent years winning intramural championships first at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor and then later Stanford University and the University of Texas at Austin.

According to Gold, Vasquez Heilig will begin working at The University of Michigan Alpena on May 19.

“[Julian] brings a very strong record of achievement as an intramural champion. That will serve the College well as we seek to strengthen our athletics and recreation programs, paying particular attention to our efforts to enhance the student-athlete experience,” Gold wrote in a statement to the Alpena Press.

Goodlight’s resignation came after a petition was started by former student athlete Jaquan Mundabi urging President J. J. Smith to review Goodlights’s employment. The web page garnered 7 signatures, and was soon followed by Goodlight leaving the University.

“They shared with me that The University of Michigan Alpena has a very distinguished alumni base, and it’s my intention to reach out and bring that base in,” said Vasquez Heilig. “But I would really rather be in Ann Arbor, it’s closer to Michigan Stadium for game days.” Why couldn’t they offer me that AD job? I would have taken that job over Alpena any day. I guess Alpena is a distant second place.”

In the time since Goodlight’s resignation, UM-Alpena formed an Athletic Search Committee, a 12-person group—including two student-athletes, faculty representative Johnny Brown, and staff members of the athletic department—to find a replacement. A larger pool was trimmed down to four final candidates, who were all interviewed in February. Three declined the position, so the University was forced to hire Vasquez Heilig. So really he is their absolute last and only choice.

That group included Goodlight, who told the Alpena News in August he had not considered what he would do if he was passed over for the permanent position. In February, Nance said he would no longer answer questions about the search. The Alpena News is guessing that goodlight is pissed— very pissed off actually.

The other two finalists were Timo Goodlight, the other Goodlight’s twin brother, who is currently serving as the associate athletic director at Ohio State, and Sarah Player, currently the associate vice president for student affairs at Michigan State, and also is a member of is a member of the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletic Administrators. Once it was know what Universities those two were coming from, they were crossed off the list immediately.

The search committee to find a new director was formed after findings were made by a separate committee, the Athletics Working Group, formed by the President after Goodlight resigned to help identify deficiencies in the department. Gold chaired that group, as well as the search committee, and currently oversees the athletic department. He says he has particularly enjoyed the AD’s lavish office, parking spot, and en-suite amenities.

“I appreciate the leadership of the President, and my thanks to the UM-Alpena alum for this opportunity,” said Vasquez Heilig. “I’m extremely energized, optimistic, and looking forward to moving UM-Alpena athletics forward. I will utilize all the principles of teamwork learned in my intramural sports career here at UM-Alpena. I would rather be in Ann Arbor, but Alpena will do for now. Wait, what’s the name of the mascot?”

It’s been a good run. Thank you UT-Austin.

p.s. I have recently acquired a bridge in New York City that is also for sale today only… April 1, 2014

Please Facebook Like, Tweet, etc below and/or reblog to share this discussion with others.

Want to know about Cloaking Inequity’s freshly pressed conversations about educational policy? Click the “Follow blog by email” button in the upper left hand corner of this page.

Twitter: @ProfessorJVH

Click here for Vitae.

Please blame Siri for any typos.

About these ads

Tags: ,

Categories: Announcements, Los Chistes

Author:Julian Vasquez Heilig

Julian Vasquez Heilig is currently an Associate Professor of Educational Policy and Planning and African and African Diaspora Studies (by courtesy) at the University of Texas at Austin.

Social Media

Subscribe to my RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

15 Comments on “Julian Vasquez Heilig is leaving The University of Texas at Austin”

1. Pat Somers
    April 1, 2014 at 9:43 am #

LMAO. Good luck in Alpena, the center of the known universe!!!

2. Patricia Carlin
    April 1, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Although we in Michigan would welcome and love to have Dr. Heilig here I think the date of this posting really says it all.

3. April 1, 2014 at 10:06 am #

ha. ha.

4. April 1, 2014 at 10:07 am #

Good one. Believable on any other day, maybe.

5. April 1, 2014 at 11:04 am #

is this an April Fool’s joke??

• April 1, 2014 at 11:18 am #

It is April 1…

• Ken Mortland
      April 1, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

I’m with you, Dora; this has got to be a joke! From statistical guru to athletic director? We’re loosing way too big on this one.

6. Ted
    April 1, 2014 at 11:22 am #

Don’t settle Julian. Hold out until they offer you the presidency of UM-UP. Go Yoopers!

7. April 1, 2014 at 11:49 pm #

Haha, very good, had me going. I’m glad your staying, but better luck next time! LOL

8. lourdes.perez
    April 2, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Dear Julián.

Professionals like you are always a threat to incompetent people who only feel safe in the academic cacoon. You have stirred up the soup of education policy, and the world needs you. You are too much for these so-called “scholars” at Texas University at Austin. Now we know what kind of higher education institution TU Austin is, by letting you go, instead of running the extra mile to keep the scholar who has put education policy issues at everybody’s reach.

I new you needed to leave sooner or later to spread your wings. You are young, brilliant, hard-worker, inspirational, and you have nurtured and enlightened many of us in the education policy field. We will continue to follow and support you. We need you even more so now.

You are one of a kind!

Abrazos,

Lourdes

Maria de Lourdes Pérez Ramírez, MA President, Founder HispanEduca, Inc. PO Box 621133/ Orlando, Fl. / 32862-1133 319-331-5827

About HispanEduca HispanEduca is a nonprofit organization, founded and registered in the state of Florida by Hispanic educators and parents.

Our mission is to empower Hispanic parents, especially from low-income families so they have the opportunity to influence and develop education policy that help increase Hispanic/Latino education attainment levels.

> On April 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM Cloaking Inequity > wrote: > > Julian Vasquez Heilig posted: “I want to thank everyone at the University of > Texas at Austin for a wonderful past 9 years. Unfortunately, I am moving on to > a new opportunity. I want to share the following release from the Alpena > Press: The University of Michigan Alpena has hired J” >

9. mklonsky
    April 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Julian, you will love it in Alpena. Be sure and stop by and say hi to my friends at Alpena Diesel. The number one place for heavy duty farm equipment as well as semi-trucks and buses.

10. Harlan Underhill
    April 5, 2014 at 5:38 pm #

Although any place in Michigan, even arctic Alpena, is obviously better than any place in Texas, Julian, are you aware that the Easter Bunny never visits Alpena, thus I would encourage you to do what you can for Texas while you are there; there will be a suitable time for you to return to Michigan and in a somewhat more prestigious position than Intramurals Athletic Director. What are you selling that bridge for? I’d like to make an offer equal to the value of the bridge.

11. Latino Education Task Force
    April 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

I’ll take that bridge.. you had us going.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Julian Vasquez Heilig is leaving The University of Texas at Austin | Educational Policy Information - April 1, 2014

[…] Julian Vasquez Heilig I want to thank everyone at the University of Texas at Austin for a wonderful past 9 years. […]

2. A Move to SacTown in Song, This time it’s for REAL: A Playlist | Cloaking Inequity - July 15, 2014

[…] and professional travel, conferences, etc. Avid readers of this blog may remember the post Julian Vasquez Heilig is leaving The University of Texas at Austin. I promise that today is not April 1. For my Twitter followers,LinkedIn connections, and Facebook […]