Book Speaking and Engagements
To book Julian Vasquez Heilig for speaking and engagements contact him at email@example.com
Julian Vasquez Heilig is an award-winning researcher, teacher, and blogger. A dynamic speaker, David Berliner recently said he is,
ONE OF AMERICA’S MOST IMPORTANT AND ORIGINAL VOICES DEFENDING PUBLIC EDUCATION.
Diane Ravitch also weighed in,
JULIAN IS ONE OF OUR BRAVEST AND MOST VALUABLE SCHOLARS.
Linda Darling-Hammond has said,
JULIAN BRINGS AN INQUIRING, INDEPENDENT MIND
He focuses on examining how accountability, testing, school finance policies and market reforms impact urban minority students. Julian’s research interests also include issues of access, diversity, and equity in schools.
For audiences, he translates complex research and theory into concise, usable language with inspirational impact.
In addition to educational accomplishments, Julian Vasquez Heilig has held a variety of practitioner, research, and leadership positions in organizations from Boston to Beijing.
His work has been cited and featured by the New York Times, Washington Post, Associated Press, USAToday, Education Week, Huffington Post and other print and electronic media outlets. He has also appeared on local and national radio and TV including PBS, NBC, NBCLatino, NPR, Univision, Al Jazeera and MSNBC.
He is also an author and contributor to various publications including The Progressive Magazine, The Conversation and Education Votes.
He obtained his Ph.D. in Education Administration and Policy Analysis and a Masters in Sociology from Stanford University. He also holds a Masters of Higher Education and a Bachelor’s of History and Psychology from the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.
High Profile Speaking Engagements
Julian Vasquez Heilig is often hired to give a variety of high profile speaking engagements. Selected examples include,
- Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Cambridge Forum, Cambridge, MA
He has also been hired and volunteered as a keynote speaker or panelist at more nearly 100 events for organizations of different types (civil rights organizations, think tanks, government, educator associations, non-profits, political organizations, media organizations, student organizations and conferences) across the United States. Selected examples include,
Civil Rights Organizations
- California NAACP, Manhattan Beach, CA
- Dallas NAACP, Dallas, TX
- Intercultural Development Research Association, San Antonio, TX
- Southern Education Foundation, Atlanta, GA
- Texas NAACP, Corpus Christi, TX
- National Urban League, Baltimore, MD
- Center for Tax and Budget Accountability, Chicago, IL
- Texas Center for Education Policy, Austin, TX
- Texas Public Policy Foundation, Austin, TX
- California Senate
- US Department of Education, Office of English Language Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
- US House Congressional Forum, Washington, D.C.
- US Senate Briefing, Washington, D.C.
- Texas Senate
- Texas State Board of Education
- Texas House
- California Association of Latino Superintendents and Administrators, San Diego, CA
- California Teachers Association, Sacramento, CA
- Community Voices in Education, Houston, TX
- Confederation of Oregon School Administrators, Seaside, OR
- Dallas Schools Administrators Association, Dallas, TX
- Houston Federation of Teachers, Houston, TX
- Maryland State Education Association, Annapolis, MD
- Nevada LEAD Caucus, Las Vegas, NV
- National Council of Urban Education Associations, Austin, TX
- National School Boards Association, Miami, FL
- National Society for Hispanic MBAs, Austin, TX
- Network for Public Education, Chicago, IL.
- National Education Association Foundation
- Council of State Governments West, Vail, Co
- National Association of Legislative & Political Specialists for Education, San Antonio, TX
- National Summit of Hispanic State Legislators, Orlando, FL
- Texas Legislative Black Caucus, Austin, TX
- Sun City Democrats, Austin, TX
- Education Writers Association, Austin, TX
- Texas Observer School Reform Across Texas, Austin, TX
- Institute for Justice and Journalism, Atlanta, GA
- The Post News Group, Oakland, CA
- Jesuit High School Black Student Association, Sacramento, CA
- Students for Education Reform, Austin, TX
- University of Texas at Austin Multicultural Greek Council’s Roundtable, Austin, TX
Conferences and Convenings*
- Netroots Nation, Phoenix, AZ
- SxSw.edu, Austin, TX
- Barbara Jordan Freedom Foundation Symposium, Austin, TX
- UT-Austin New Faculty Orientation, Austin, TX
- University of Texas Cooperative Superintendency Program, Austin, TX
- UT-Austin Hispanic Faculty and Staff Association, Austin, TX
- Northern Rocky Mountain Education Research Association
*For a comprehensive list of Dr. Vasquez Heilig’s academic conference presentations view his CV here.
University Speaking Engagements
Julian Vasquez Heilig has keynoted and lectured virtually and in person at the top universities in the nation. Selected examples include,
- Bowdoin College
- Hofstra University
- Howard University
- Loyola University
- Northeastern University Law School
- New York University
- Penn State University
- Rice University
- University of Arkansas
- University of California Berkeley
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas at Austin LBJ School of Public Policy
- University of Utah
Invited Expert Testimony
He has also provided invited expert testimony for legal cases, Texas State Board of Education, the Texas Senate, California Senate, US House and US Senate. Selected examples include,
- Texas House Public Education Committee Senate Bill 14
- California Senate Education Committee SB322
- Crutch v. Scott
- Texas State Board of Education, HB 5
- Texas Senate Committee on Education SB 2
- US Senate Briefing S. 1716
He can serve as a moderator, emcee, or speaker for your event or show. Selected examples include,
- American Educational Research Association Presidential Session
- White House Champions of Change
- Truth For America podcast